Saturday, November 04, 2006


Baptized with the Holy Ghost..... now what?

I was raised and saved in a Baptist church. My grandfather was my pastor. Though I appreciate the Baptist tradition, I never really considered myself as a Baptist. Over the course of my life I was exposed to many different church traditions. There was a Lutheran church across the street from where I used to live in West Philadelphia. Tabernacle Lutheran Church was pastored by a woman I only knew as Pastor Keys. My mom would take by brothers and I there when we didn't go to my Pop Pop's church. When my mother took by brothers and I to live in New Jersey, we worshipped at a Presbyterian church and volunteered there for a couple of months. My elementary school counselor was a charismatic and she invited my mother and I to her church for bible study. When I moved back to Pennsylvania, we worshipped in the AME church, Southern Baptist, National Baptist, and nondenominational churches.

When my grandfather retired, we didn't have a church home. At fifteen, I started to go to my cousin's church in West Philly. It's a now a megachurch. I liked the church a lot. As I started to grow and mature in my faith, I realized that I was not being fed what I needed there. I still visit the church as often as I can. In God's sovereignty I entered the Pentecostal/Charismatic tradition. What sparked my interested in Pentecostalism was by interestingly enough viewing Trinity Broadcasting Network. Most of the 'talent' on TBN are from Pentecostal/Charismatic backgrounds. Now I am wise to know not to get my theology education just (or not) from watching charismatic televangelism shows (which I am not all appalled at some of their preachers' doctrine); likewise I am also wise to know not to get my theology education from just reading Christianity Today magazine! Actually it's not my wisdom but the wisdom of God ! To God be the glory! I started to pursue knowledge about the history and theological development of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement. Reading scholarly journals, books, and online websites led me to be intrigued by the movement. I was amazed at the doctrine of the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. Traditional evangelical Protestants don't teach this doctrine because they don't believe in a subsequent experience after conversion. I read about the Wesleyan/Holiness view of this Baptism (entire sanctification) and I read the Classical Pentecostal view (enduement of power for ministry evidenced by speaking in tongues Joel 2:28-32, Mark 16:15-18, Acts 1-2, etc.). I was feeling 'dry' in my walk with the Lord. I need a revival in my being!
One night in December 2005 I prayed to the Lord and I wanted more of Him. I prayed that if the Pentecostal Baptism is of Him then give me discernment. I didn't want tongues, I wanted the Spirit in full measure!

I was baptized with the Spirit in January 2006 at of all places, at non-denomenational student-led church in which I attend (University Christian Fellowship) pastored by a young Mennonite. I was praying quietly in a pew and then the Spirit filled me then I began speaking in tongues. A a couple of months afterwards, I was an attendee at a leadership course led by my pastor and a young woman who is now a dear friend. The session was on the Holy Spirit and His ministry. Pastor Duane and Cassie lectured on the person of the Holy Spirit, His ministry, and His gifts. Both talked about their own experience with the Baptism with the Holy Spirit (Duane attended a Pentecostal bible college). Then after the lecture we prayed and worshipped. I was so filled with Holy Ghost, I was praying in tongues for a little over an hour. I've visited three Pentecostal/charismatic congregations over the summer (one Assemblies of God, charismatic non-denominational, and one house church). I often visit one of them for special conferences when I get the chance. Currently I am a member and a men's bible study leader at University Christian Fellowship.

Now after being baptized with the Spirit, I started to realize that the enduement of power is not for self-aggrandizement but for ministry. Shouting, tongue-talking, falling under the power of the Holy Ghost is all well and good, but there is a Great Commission that must be obeyed and accomplished for God's glory! So I who fellowship with many peoples from different traditions, am described as Pentecostal. I have read up on the excesses and legalisms that came with churches that are labeled 'Pentecostal'. I also know that many people are disillusioned by the movement, for its long history of anti-intellectualism (which is now changing), many have been abused by pastoral authority figures within the movement, many prominent figures led questionable lives (for which we need to pray for them not criticize and gossip about them behind their backs Galatians 6:1-2), and I know that many on the outside believe that the Pentecostal movement is even heretical! I personally don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bath water. So I wear the adjective 'Pentecostal' with humility and with fear and trembling! I hope to contribute to the movement and to the Body of Christ-at-large. Christ did not pray to the Father to send the Spirit so we can go into all the world and show a new trick we can do with our mouths or to be spiritual elitists, but to preach the Gospel! May we all obey the command of the Lord Jesus in Pentecostal power!

2 comments:

Antoine said...

Very cool bro. Very cool.

Jason Oliver Evans said...

Thanks, Antoine! I appreciate it.