Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Necessary Conversation


"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5: 16 KJV


Today before the end of the homecoming game at Millersville University, I was walking home with my brother Antoine. As we were walking down N. George Street to Duncan Alumni House we came across a young woman who I knew from some where but I couldn't place her where or when. She stopped us and initiated a conversation. She said that she knew me by association ("Your Blaine's roommate.") I responded yes.

The young woman spoke completely honest with us about her present condition ("I'm drunk right now.") She told us that her boyfriend was the one who died in a recent car accident. Dominic was a senior at MU was expected to graduate in December. She told me that she was feeling very helpless and she knew that when she saw us walking down the street she had to stop us because she knew that Antoine and I were "spiritual".

This "cry for help" turned into the most beautiful conversation I've ever had with a person. As Vanessa began to share her feelings with us, her countenance changed from that of despair to peace and joy. Vanessa is a passionate, life-loving, sincere young woman who lost someone with whom she was passionately in love. She referred to her deceased boyfriend as her "kindred spirit"; a person who really understands her and truly accepts the beauty that is Vanessa. During her time of tragedy Vanessa's story became a triumph. "I have this strange feeling of peace," Vanessa said. "I know he's watching over me." She felt guilty for having this peace, but Antoine gently assured her that she's in the right place.

Antoine and I listened to this brilliant minded young woman who poured out her heart and her desire to be a good person. The most uplifting part of this experience was not talking but listening to this woman fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God (Psalm 139:14). I gave Vanessa my number and we parted ways.

I praise God for setting Antoine and me up for this opportunity to minister to Vanessa. The powerful thing about this experience was that we didn't quote Scripture, we didn't speak with other languages (Christianese) nor did we condemn Vanessa. Truly Christ used us to be a listeners of Vanessa and to bear witness of Him to her. I really praise God for Vanessa for showing me what it means to love and be loved. What it means to keep it real.

Most importantly, I praise Him for making us vessels of His glory. What Vanessa saw in us that drew her to us wasn't us, but Christ en-fleshed in us. Truly I understand now to let the light sine before men and women. This verse says that they will the good works in us and they will glorify the Father who is in Heaven. Truly God deserves all the glory, the honor, and the praise for this "necessary conversation."

2 comments:

Antoine said...

Man that was awesome. I am still awed by the entire experience. Always a blessing walkin wiht you bro.

Here is a little something from this weekend as well for you: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2038/1577529817_98a966b317_m.jpg

Jason Oliver Evans said...

My Brother it is always a pleasure to walk with you as well.