Monday, September 10, 2007

In His Will

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever."

1 John 2:15-17 KJV, emphasis mine


These last few days were rough. I had experienced a spiritual attack from the enemy last Thursday morning while I was in class. Then Friday evening I was set off by something that happened earlier in the day. For the sake of privacy of the persons involved I won't expound on the event. Then Saturday I learned that I was denied a student VISA credit card from my credit union, so they closed my checking account. I had a haircut appointment that day. I had to cancel it.

I went home to Philadelphia. I didn't go straight home. I went down to Borders Books on Broad Street. I was so perturbed I felt like I was a walking throbbing live nerve ready to be set off. I spent an hour in the Religion section looking for something to help me get through my trial. Dallas Willard's The Spirit of the Disciplines seemed like a good read so I purchased it.

When I got back to Millersville to work on my two packages for Broadcast News Reporting course. I didn't finish editing the projects (I don't know nothing about video editing). I was so distraught, so many thoughts race through my mind.

I'm walking my friend home, my sister in the Lord Aisha called me... just in time! I didn't know whether or not I should stay at Millersville or not. I knew in my gut that God has brought me too far to give up now. Aisha implored me to pray when I get home.

I spent some time with God. The Voice within rebuked me. Last night I learned that God has two wills, his permissive will, and his perfect will. (Disclaimer: This is the Pentecostal in me so if this too subjective for you, pray for discernment): The Lord told me that I was in his permissive will when I wanted to do my thing (i.e. culinary school), but He has called me to be in His perfect will. He said that I needed to stay at Millersville for one more semester because I'm not ready yet. There's things I need to do. I know this is true because I was so anxious and stressed about leaving Millersville. After hearing His Voice the peace of God passed over me.

I dropped my Broadcast News Reporting course today. I'm dropping my Still Photography course tomorrow. I will be full time with four courses. Next semester I will be doing an internship, taking Still Photography and another course.

After this prayer, a song called "Your Will is What's Best for Me" came to my spirit. I realized that God's perfect will is what Christians should strive to be in. It is our purpose to walk in His perfect will. If one will fully submit to the will of the Father, one must be forewarned that it will cost us. Jesus tell His disciples about counting the cost when following Him. To follow Christ, to live the way He lived-in full submission to the will of His Father is the duty of the believer.

Being in God's will is a mystery in the true sense of the word. It is an "hidden truth": O, may be search for this hidden treasure. May we be led by the Spirit of God.

So this is a new day for me. The road ahead is great and filled with life's vicissitudes. It's good to know that the Lord is with me leading me into the paths of righteousness.

No comments: