Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Book of God

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Romans 15:4

All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
2 Timothy 3:16-7


I am a creature of a day. I am a spirit come from God, and returning to God. I want to know one thing: the way to heaven. God himself has condescended to teach me the way. He has written it down in a book. Oh, give me that book! At any price give me the book of God. Let me be a man of one book.
-JOHN WESLEY

In a few minutes I'm about to study for to facilitate a series on Christ Jesus for bible study tomorrow night. We are studying the Gospel of Jesus Christ according to the Holy Scriptures. Over a couple of days ago I got some good resources of bible commentaries, dictionaries, maps, handbooks, systematic theologies all for free! Thank you , Bible Explorer! Also I downloaded some study aids from the Bible Foundation website, Michael Pahl's web page, and others. I also have access to some good articles on biblical hermeneutics.

My approach to studying the Holy Scriptures are changing for the better. I have been a bit perturbed when it comes to studying the Bible. I didn't grasp the authority of the Scriptures. I've read doctrinal articles, denominational confessional statements, and polemical theology within evangelicalism (i.e. inerrancy) and I was a bit disturbed. Bible-thumping, Bible-bashing, Bible-twisting, or Biblical illiteracy has been my on mind. I can't let my heart fail me because of the lack of biblical comprehension in the American church. I've girded up my loins and I'm going on an adventure to grow deeper in faith because I know realize the power of the living Word in the written word. Jesus said that the Scriptures bear witness of Him (John 5:39). So that means the Bible is pneumatological in nature (1 Peter 1:19-21). They point to Christ by the power of the Spirit. I hope to mature this semester in grasping the excellency of the saving knowledge Christ with my fellow travelers.



No comments: